Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, May 29, 2005

BGTG - May 28, 2005 (Intro to Strategy Boardgames)



This show may not be as interesting to listeners who have been enjoying this hobby for a while. But as I mentioned in a previous show, I think it's important that this podcast have one show intended for newcomers. Though there are at least a couple more boardgame podcasts out there, mine is still the one that pops up when someone does a podcast search specifically for boardgames (only because it's in my title).

So, for all you newcomers, have a listen to this particular episode. I get to spend some time talking about what these sort of games are (and what they aren't), good suggestions for your first purchases, where to find the games, and how to find other players.

Email Mark Johnson

Game suggestions (Designer/Publisher)
Settlers of Catan (Klaus Teuber/Mayfair Games)
Carcassonne (Klaus-Jürgen Wrede/Rio Grande Games)
Bohnanza (Uwe Rosenberg/Rio Grande Games)
Ticket to Ride (Alan R. Moon/Days of Wonder)
Through the Desert (Reiner Knizia/Fantasy Flight Games)
Lost Cities (Reiner Knizia/Rio Grande Games)

Links
A good intro to "German" games
'German' Game FAQ (from rec.games.board)
Boardgamegeek.com (the hobby's central website)
Bruno Faidutti's Ideal Game Library
Gamefest.com (online game store)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think 6Nimmt! / Category 5, which you mentioned on the show, is also a pretty good gateway game - it's simple but interesting, easy to teach to newbies, and is a little intro to Kramer.

6:12 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

I think it's one to consider, too, though I was disappointed to see it fall flat with my family over Christmas. I think the complete lack of real theme hurt the game (constrasted with Bohnanza, which they enjoyed).

-Mark

9:27 AM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

Thank you so much for your intro to board games! As I mentioned in a previous comment, I am trying to get my husband and the other couples with socialize with to branch out from dominoes and Monopoly. I was already considering Carcassonne, so I am glad to hear that I made a good beginner choice.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good show, but you need a second personality to give it less of an Imus in The Morning feel. Its a tad stale.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark good show.
How about For Sale as an "auction game"

2:08 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Yep, For Sale is a good choice.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Toby said...

I've been invited to one of our local schools to talk about board games as they're designing their own and I'm definitely cribbing from this show, thank you!

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home