Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, May 22, 2005

BGTG - May 22, 2005 (Game Awards)



A theme show I'd mentioned earlier, focusing on the ideas behind game awards. I was consciously trying to avoid just making this a rundown of the various awards, trying to get a little behind the purpose and motivation for game awards. Was I successful? Partially, I think.

Email Mark Johnson

Links
Brett & Board's Awards page
International Gamers Awards
Deutscher Spiel Preis form (and Mik's explanation for English-speakers)
Essen '04 and Nürnberg '05 games eligible for DSP voting
Origins People's Choice Game of the Year Awards
Meeples' Choice Museum
Stven Carlberg's BGG forum post about game awards

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A suggestion for the website would be to have a link to download the MP3s called 'Download Episode 5' or whatever.

You can currently download by clicking on the article title - but that is not intuitive for those new to podcasting / RSS...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

I just found your podcast today and this is the third episode I've heard. You mentioned the Games 100 list. Although that magazine may not be what you would consider a must-read for hardcore gamers, reading it as a young adult was the first time that I realized that boardgaming was a hobby and went beyong Monopoly and Clue. The list at the end of the year did introduce me to items that I wouldn't have considered if I just saw them on the shelf. Since I am still just learning about this hobby, I'm not surrounded by experienced gamers (my group of friend is treating me as the gaming scout!) so a list like Games 100 is very helpful.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Thanks for pointing that out, Dani. Games magazine's greatest strength is its distribution and mainstream acceptance. Though I may not always agree with their evaluations, it's often a matter of degree--not a fundamental disagreement. I can see where someone getting interested in serious boardgaming might look to Games magazine. Its title is inviting, the glossy pictures don't hurt, and you can find it in many bookstores.

In that sense, yeah, it might be one of the best ways new people come to the hobby.

But I still take issue with their game award selections. :-)

11:17 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

The ironic thing is that I don't feel much need for actively growing the hobby. I just think an award that doesn't aim for that--at least partially--doesn't have much relevance. However, that viewpoint is strongly outvoted in my webpoll, so what do I know?

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home