Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Tuesday, May 10, 2005

BGTG - May 10, 2005 (Conventions, part 1)



Finally did the show about conventions, and I didn't even finish what I wanted to say. But I limited myself to a half-hour, just the same. I'll wrap up in a future show, though that will probably not be my next show. In this one I start at the top, discussing my one day at Essen 2003, other experiences with Origins and Gencon (well, at least Gencon SoCal), talk up some more-than-regional cons like Kublacon and BGG.con, and...um...sort of dump on local cons like our Strategicons. I guess they're for somebody, they just aren't for me. In that future show I'll get to Slug-A-Thon, Games Days, and the invitationals (GoF, Gulf Games).

Links:
My Essen 2003 article at The Games Journal
Ward Batty's traveler's guide to Essen
Origins
Gencon (especially Gencon SoCal)
Kublacon (San Francisco, May)
BGG.con (Dallas, November)
Strategicon (Southern California, various)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words about Kublacon. Though Shelley, my wife, is a great help at the con, my two "official" right hands deserve mention: Heather Rawlins and Julie Haehn - along with Shelley, they keep me sane. Greg Parker's a big help running a few events (Reef Encounter and a grab bag of card games this year) and Kevin O'Hare, who ran the boardgame area a couple of years ago is now my "boss" at the con.

"Tabletop" or our area should be excellent this year. People who haven't made their final decision on joining in the fun should go to the site and check out the program. Dr. Reiner Knizia will be attending (he's even provided a free game that's going to be published in the program!) , along with Aldie and Derk from Boardgamegeek and Guido Teuber (Klaus' son of Settlers fame).

Hope to see you and many others there.

Doug Garrett

11:46 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Thanks for the clarifications, Doug. I definitely want to give credit where it's due. Good luck to you and everyone at Kublacon. I'm sure it'll be a good time, and I wish I could join you!

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home