Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Thursday, August 18, 2005

BGTG 31 - All About Medici (with Dave Arnott)



Another All About show, another with a second voice, and another long one! This should be interesting... Though I normally prefer shows to be shorter, perhaps only half as long, this is also the kind of show I'd like to listen to. But does anyone else feel the same? An hour of two guys talking minutiae about Medici: whether you ever flip more than one card for auction, offensive vs. defensive bidding, and how player position affects the responsibility for stopping a leader. This show mimics some of the post-game discussions we've had somemtimes, wanting to figure out what makes the game tick. Or how to stop losing.

I'm behind on feedback, both replying to it privately and including it on the podcast. Would you believe two people have used the voicemail line now? :-) I plan to catch up some in my next Session Report show.

-Mark

Links
Dave Arnott's filmography at IMDb.com
Dave's 2-player game database at Luding
Medici
(Original Amigo board, Rio Grande board, recent French board)

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for singing at the table...

It wasn't singing in the true sense, but I have found memories of Dave breaking into a boisterous rendition of the Sanford & Son theme whenever we played Royal Turf, and the "Red Fox" horse moved.

Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba-Buuuuuum!...

Mike Mayer

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent episode. One of the best so far. Dave is great on the show.

I was particularly impressed with Dave's rule explanation towards the start. I have never played Medici before, but his brief explanation gave a great overall picture of the game (without focussing on the niggly/distracting details).

Matthew (from Sydney)

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a really excellent show, Mark. I've talked about gettin' Dave onto BoardgameSpeak for a while, so I'm jealous that you were able to get it done 'fore us, but the result is more than worth it! Keep it up, boys!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great show! You should make Dave a "regular" on the show. You had a great dynamic and some fun conversations came from that.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really fun show! Fun, thoughtful conversation. I actually bought the game based on this show – sounds great to me! Keep up the great work.

Mike Doyle

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the kind of blog I like to listen to. I like hearing about the games themselves, and I also like the longer episodes.

Keep it up!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great show!

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to add a voice to the masses. Great show. I really enjoy this format, disecting one game for a longer period. That is one of the failings of the 'geek, is lack of truly indepth study of the games. There is a nice overview, and reviews, but not much deep analysis. More of this please!

Ed Bryan

7:06 PM  
Blogger Kiki said...

This is the first episode of your show I listened to, and it got me hooked on your podcast.
I'm in Australia, and good boardgame info is hard to come by (let alone the actual games!). I didn't even know these games were a German-specific thing.

Your description of Medici definitely makes me want to try it.
Thanks! Your podcast is giving me exactly what I was looking for, a personal gamer's point of view on games that are out there.

4:18 PM  
Blogger Hans van der Drift said...

Hi Mark,

You were both mentioning another game in this podcast called "extra"

I can not find it at BGG, have I got the name correct?

Thanks

Hans
Brisbane, Australia

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home