Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Friday, July 22, 2005

BGTG 26 - Microgames



Finally! I've wanted to get back to a theme show for a while, and one on microgames has been on my to-do list. As I say in the show, this is really sort of training me for doing some shows about wargames. I'm not ready to do that yet, but it will come someday.

This was another recording using the mobile device, a Treo 650, rather than my normal laptop & headset mic rig. There's a drop in audio quality, but I think it's 'listenable.' This is the recorder I'll be taking with me to BGG.con, so I'm motivated to learn how to make the most of it. A special Treo mic might help (if there is such a thing), though I think just backing away from the device and speaking naturally would also help reduce a little clipping.

-Mark

P.S. Haven't included any feedback on the show for a while, but it's still coming in. I need to catch up. And it was Matthew that sent me the audio comment from Australia. Definitely working that in soon.

Links
Microgame HQ
Classic Microgames Museum
Ogre
Microgame Design Group (RIP...)
Fat Messiah Games
Counter Strike Games
Simulations Workshop
ebay search for microgame :-)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think the link to the entry might be broken. I get a 404 error from libsyn.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

It's working now, isn't it? The iTunes revolution in podcasting put a huge strain on the still-developing podcast-hosting infrastructure. My host libsyn has had the occasional hiccup, but for the most part they've stayed up & active. I'm impressed.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job Mark.
Still love those microgames.
I'll never forget getting my first copy of Ogre home, cutting out the bits and playing with my pal. Wow! Happy days!
(XtricksterX)

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, love the podcast.

I have been working my way through all the older ones (i became a listener probably about a month ago) and just finished your podcast on microgames. While I went into this episode thinking it really wasn't of great interest to me listening to it I began to remember a game I had as a kid that came i a little plastic box. I went to the microgame museum as you recommended and sure enough, TSR Remember the Alamo jumped right out at me. I hadn't thought about that game in years. Thanks for shaking loose an old memory for me, keep up the great work!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home