Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Monday, June 06, 2005

Get 'em while you can

Am I posting too many shows? Can you keep up? You don't have to, of course, but I understand the desire to stay up-to-date with a website or podcast you follow. Turns out I've been uploading a little too much for me podcast host. That's no big deal--I can just lay low for about a week (the usual interval between shows that I record on the weekend anyway). Or, I can replace some of the existing shows with a same recording of smaller filesize. This comes from changing the bit rate of the exported MP3 file. From what I understand, dropping from 48 bit to 32 bit won't make much or any difference in the audio quality. So why not?

If it matters to you, get the current files now. During the week I'll replace them with 32-bit versions. If someone wants to help me out, save the original, 48-bit recordings in one folder, and re-download them in their leaner 32-bit versions. Then listen to both and let me know if you detect a difference. The changeout of the recordings won't happen until the middle of the week--I'll let everyone know.

And for anyone afraid of the techno-speak above, just remember that everything will still play just fine on your computer, MP3 player, or iPod. It's seamless and painless for you--don't do anything different!

Email Mark Johnson

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

32kbit is OK, as long as you remember to encode in mono. TDT used 32kbit stereo and that was a bit below par.

3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smaller file size is always a good thing, especially with speech based recordings.

Could you support different formats? For example, The Dice Tower also provides Real Player format. I actually hate this format, but since the file is smaller (and in Australia many broadband plans have a cap on volume) I download it and then convert it to MP3 (quality is still bearable).

It would be great if you could have a smaller format (I would prefer WMA, but no doubt the slashdotters will complain about that).

Re: frequency of posting of shows - you are doing a great job, and your current frequency is just fine.

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

I'm actually posting this from my Blackberry sitting in O'Hare Intl Airport. I just want to say that I enjoy your podcasts very much and to keep it up. The frequency is fine. I have a decent commute (about 70 min per day) and your content helps pass the time.

I think 32bit will be fine. I'll let you know if I notice any significant degradation.

Here's a question for you to answer on a future show: do you still play any CCG's for the pleasure of the game systems? I'm still quite fond of Magic, 7th Sea, and Middle Earth: the Wizards and manage to play every few months without getting hooked on the collection aspect (not really an option for 7th Sea and METW in any case as they are oop).

Cheers,

Chris Brooks
http://www.chrisbrooks.org

6:23 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

I read & answered Chris' question on a recent podcast, but briefly...

No, I don't play CCGs anymore. A couple years ago I dabbled with Magic again, but that faded away quickly. I still like playing Magic, but it's a hard game to enjoy without jumping into the deep end again.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home