Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, June 05, 2005

BGTG - June 5, 2005 (SR: Tonga Bonga, David & Goliath, Oltremare, Tichu, Oceania)



A nice, big session report. Last week's session wasn't any longer than the previous one, but instead of playing one big game (Struggle of Empires), this time we played several shorter games. These are always my favorite game nights, though I can handle a longer game once in a while.

I also was able to open with several listener comments, which was fun. Keep 'em coming.

Email Mark Johnson

Games
Tonga Bonga
David & Goliath
Oltremare
Tichu
Oceania

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re - Tonga Bonga & Stefan Dorra. I also enjoy this game and it does play well with kids as I can snd have played it with my younger daughter. However, I was intrigued by your comments comparing this w/ Africa as a "Big Box" publication that was a bit of a let down for fans. Looking at my Dorra collection, I can see the trend (assuming that the dates on the Geek are correct). In the 3 years prior to Tonga Bonga (1998), Dorra had released Linie 1 (1995), Marracash (1996), Volle Hütte (1997). Don't know which one of these was the game you were trying to remember, but agree that TB is certainly a bit lighter than any of these. Finally, have you ever tried the Rum Rules variant (now translated and on the Geek) with this game?

-Rich Pardoe
(TriValley Boardgamers)

3:50 PM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

I found it interesting that you enjoy Tonga Bonga even though you don't play it well because I feel the same way about playing with our friends. We don't play German games (at least not yet) but in whatever we choose, I enjoy seeing the mechanics played out more than trying to struggle with the strategy. I also like to keep the game moving, so I make the best move I can come up with in 30 seconds and don't look back!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hsare your frustration with Tichu. It takes a lot of plays before one can safely predict what is a good play 90% of the time.

- Anson

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home