Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Monday, May 15, 2006

Your loss is my gain

I wish I could be putting out more podcasts. I've got lots of ideas, some guests lined up (some have been waiting for months!), some partial shows recorded, and outlines for future shows. What I don't have is the time or energy to have finished them already.

Actually, that's not true. I do have the time, and sometimes I even have the energy. However, my success in a personal goal for my hobby--dialing back my intensity/involvement and playing more games with my family--has impacted the podcast. I'm spending more time playing with my kids. Sometimes that's boardgames, sometimes it's videogames, sometimes it's catch in the front yard. And I'm not consuming boardgaming content with all of my leisure time--sometimes I'm watching TV with my wife, reading a book, or even exercising. All good choices, right?

Right, they absolutely are. They just come at a cost to my hobby. Some folks can do all of these things and not miss a beat with their avid boardgaming, but I've never been able to pull that off. And so the podcast is delayed.

Not forever, don't worry. In fact, I think I'll get a show out by the weekend at the latest. I still love doing them, and I'm still going to do them.

-Mark

P.S. And now you've got a glimpse of what a future show is going to be about. Not the next one, though--that's supposed to be an overdue session report + feedback show, talking about TtR:Märklin, Buy Low Sell High, and Dschunke. The "David Arnott Leftovers" show is also in the pipeline, catching up with some comments about Medici, Elasund, and Hacienda.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mike Doyle said...

Mark,

That's totally reasonable. After all, your biggest fans are the one's at home. :)

mike

11:24 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, I think family always has to come first. It just makes the anticipation even greater! I can't wait for the Arnott leftovers. Those are so fun to listen to!

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You gotta like a guy with priorities.

I welcome your podcasts whenever they come out. They are top notch.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark. Of course I can totally agree with having to do other things. You've got to have a balance in your life, other than just board games. Although I could quite easily live and breathe board games, I think I'd probably be a single man now if that was the case.
My family are understanding (as I'd imagine yours are), but many of us have other pritorities that take up time and energy. Since my son has born, I've found that my gaming has slipped quite a few notches since then. With spending time to the family, a sick sibling or whatever..I often find myself pulling out of planned game sessions because I have other obligations..or I'm just too exhausted darn it!

After all is said and done, I guess I just want to say not to bust your boiler to get these pod-casts out..Do it in *your* time in when *you* have the energy. Don't let it become a chore but rather something you still enjoy doing in your free time. We very much enjoy and appreciate your input to the hobby.

Yours
Mark Coomey

2:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home