Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Friday, March 31, 2006

They're coming! Honest!

Apologies for taking so long to get these shows out. Really--they're very close. I'm proof-listening to the Gamer Dad episode with David Gullett now, and I've already recorded the All About Vinci show with David Arnott. Now, both of these shows are good, but long. Or maybe: good and long. The issue of show length is one I've brought up on the podcast a few times, and though most of the feedback says length is fine if the content is good, it's starting to bother me.

I think the solution is not to cut good content short, but to have more small shows interspersed with the big ones. Lately, even my session report shows have gotten long, and that's where I think I need to cut down. Or take a small topic (like my blogroll, or ordering games from Germany), and make a mini show of it, rather than combining topics into a big show. That way, there will be more varied content here. Not everything has to be the CD-busting interview or All About show.

However, that's what's in the queue now. There was the All About La Città show, and now these two biggies I'm currently working on. So for a little while longer it'll feel like BGTG is a long format podcast. And it will be, for particular shows. But I'm going to make an effort to squeeze in those bite-sized shows, too. I'd like your feedback on this plan.

-Mark

P.S. In a week my family & I are headed to Hawaii for vacation. I'll have the laptop with us, but I'm not sure if I'll record any shows or not. I'd like to--it's fun for me and actually a perfectly fine thing to do on vacation--but we'll see. What I need to do is update the web page. There's some general cleanup I need to do here on the front page (getting rid of the poll, for instance), and I should post a few secondary pages (show archive, a thank-you page for contributors, and a how-to for my Skype setup).

2 Comments:

Blogger Brent Mair said...

Hey Mark, long shows are fine. Put out the shows as you get them done and we'll be happy.

But I agree that you don't have to pack much into a show. If we got the shows more often and they were short, I'd still be happy.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the new episodes. Btw, I made you a trade offer over at BGG. Check your inbox.

-Eric

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home