Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Long shows no problem?

In my 50th podcast I went over the single-CD show duration (about 78 minutes). Actually I've done that several times, but in all the other instances I split the show into two parts. This time I didn't . . . other than to make available a less elegantly hacked-into-two download. I just took a look at the download stats, and they seem to indicate the hacked-up show isn't necessary. They might even indicate that shows longer than 78 minutes aren't a problem. That's because I've got about a thousand folks listening to podcast, including show #50, but not much more than a couple dozen downloads for the part 1/part 2 show.

Don't get me wrong--I don't want the shows to be that long. If there's a ton of good material to discuss, then I might properly split into two A & B shows, as I've done before. Ordinarily, I want to squeeze the show down to less than 80 minutes. But if it goes a little over that limit in the future, maybe I won't bother with splitting the show into parts.

-Mark

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind the longer shows, especially if you've got Mike Siggins. I just download them to the mp3 player so file size is of no concern. Keep up the excellent work!

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. I prefer the longer shows to you splitting them up.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Mike Doyle said...

Bigger IS better!

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What those guys said...

Except I don't have an MP3 player. I listen at lunch on my laptop.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I don't have a problem with the longer shows. I listen either on a mp3 CD or on the desktop while I work.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Will said...

I'm pretty much in agreement. Long shows are fine with me also. I listen at work, and I keep all your shows in MP3 format on CDs. So I pop them onto my Ipod anytime I want to listen to an older one.

7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long is good as long as the content is good.

7:46 PM  
Blogger hikeandshoot said...

A good show like yours can never be long enough ... splitting can be done after downloading ... keep it up ...

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well 78 minutes is single CD for me as I only use 80min CDs.

I'd prefer if you keep the shows between 60 and 75 minutes, that just about the right length for a show.

11:46 PM  
Blogger Brent Mair said...

I'm all for long shows. Or more shows.
When I first started listening to your show I burned a few to CD since that was my best option for listening. Soon after that I got a portable mp3 player with no screen and no ability to scroll through the podcast so if the player got reset I had to start over with my listening.

I found a free mp3 splitter program that allowed me to do the splitting. I don't see that much need for you to do it since we can do it ourselves if needed.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Ed Rozmiarek said...

As someone who listens to a bunch of podcasts on audio CD, I would like to have shows that fit nicely on CDs. So keeping the shows under 80 mins (or under 40 which allows 2 per CD) is nice. However, don't cut something short if it is good content. I have a MP3 splitter so cutting up the latest Siggins interview was no problem. Content is king.

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't mind the longer time as long as the content warrants it.
Some podasters seem to drone on and on just hear the sound of their own voices. Those get unsubscribed really fast.
No fear, Mark. Your podcast isn't one of those!
Keep up the good work.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jonathan Degann said...

I store it on a CD, and so keeping it to 78 minutes is a plus. Also, this ought to be plenty of time to cover what you need to. Don't be afraid to edit to keep the show punchy and concise.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

I'm not afraid to edit, Jonathan. I'm just too lazy, or don't have enough time. :-/

11:50 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Well, obviously I'm in the minority -- but shows that long are a problem for me. I don't have an MP3 player, so I burn podcasts to CD and listen in my car. If a show is too long for a CD, I generally have to skip it.

I also tend to think that shows longer than 30-40 minutes are too long. I can see that a lot of people disagree, but that's how I feel.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home