Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, January 22, 2006

BGTG 49 - Jan 21, 2006 - Five & Dime Lists (with Mark JACKson)



Though it's happening less often nowadays, in the past people have confused Mark Jackson and myself. Though that's mostly due to the similarity in our names, we have some similar tastes in games (e.g. original Entdecker), we've crossed paths a few times, and since Jackson moved here in 2003 we're both Californians. California is a big state, though, and we're not so close that we see each other at Games Days and whatnot. Luckily, last weekend Mark came down to visit the SCBers and play some games. We recorded this podcast while he was here, and his annual Five & Dime list project was the main topic. As you'll hear, Mark has done a variety of projects where he synthesizes data and opinions from a variety of hobbyists online. The Five & Dime lists are an annual tally of the games folks have played at least five or ten times. And this is the one project he's working on that anyone can participate in.

This was also a good opportunity to talk about replayability and longevity in boardgames. It was Matt Sab who'd asked the question, and started a similar discussion on spielfrieks. (Sorry I forgot your name on the air, Matt!)

-Mark

P.S. Rats, I forgot to have Candy take a photo of us.

Links
Game Central Station
The Apples Project
The One Hundred
Five & Dime (and email your own data to Mark)
The Tao of Gaming (Brian Bankler's blog, now with Tom Lehmann, too!)
Shannon Appelcline's Year in Review: 2005 blog entry at Gone Gaming

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was the "Die erhoffer" game Mark referenced as a "once a year game"? I can't find the game, as I don't spell german well from just hearing it. Thanks

Brad

1:43 PM  
Blogger Mike Doyle said...

Fascinating hearing of the trends as some rational for it!

6:03 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

The game is Die Erbraffer, a good-with-the-right-crowd game of inheritance along the lines of a multi-generational family tree. Older game, never available in English so far as I know, but shouldn't be impossible to track down.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Brent Mair said...

Another great show. Keep them coming. It was riveting and informative.

I can't believe Mark Jackson used the phrase "I thought everyone who wanted it already had it". I had hoped we had put that mistake to bed. Many hobbyists buy only through local stores and many players won't buy German languaged games in any venue.

It is good to listen to you, Mark.
And you too, Mark.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Just a question...

Why would your voices sound similar just because you share the same first name?

I'll crawl back into my hole now.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Flieger said...

It is very interesting to for me to see how board games are played here in the US. It seems that people try to play as many games as possible. Only a few seem to stick with a few games that they play over and over. This, of course, is not too surprising, given the vast number of games available. However, when I grew up in Germany, we had a hand full of games (and yes, Monopoly was included) that we continually played.

I only have a comparatively small collection of ca. 40 games, of which at least ten are children's games. I too get suckered in to wanting the latest and greatest games, but then my wife asks me, why I don't just play the games I have? After all, I bought them because they are good games, and I like them.
She does have a point. I do have good games. Settlers, Tikal, Entdecker, Liar's dice, etc. are all games that can bear being played often. And if you play them with people you like, you are guaranteed to have a good time. And having a good time is all that it is about.
How many tile laying games do I need? If I have Entdecker, do I really need Carcassonne and its expansions?

But then, on the other hand, this hobby is still in its infancy here in the US. Anything that will get more people to play games and watch less TV is worth while. So if it takes five different tile laying games that are similar but have different themes that may appeal to non-gamers, I guess they are worth getting. Someone will just have to bear the brunt and buy, buy, buy until the gospel has spread sufficiently.

I certainly enjoyed the show and had fun listening to the stats. One thing this gamer will keep in the back of his head, however is: Happiness is in wanting what you have, not in having what you want.

Christoph

6:45 AM  
Blogger ekted said...

No love for Tongi. :(

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very enjoyable podcast, Mark. Thanks a bunch!

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clicking around I found this user page, that (seemingly) has Mark Jackson's picture.

You two look nothing alike. :)

http://www.blogger.com/profile/8560888

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home