Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

BGTG 47 - Jan. 8, 2006 - Behind the Scenes at BGTG



This is more or less an update of the "intro to podcasting" show I did way back in May, 2005. It's especially intended for people who might start up their own boardgame podcast--whether they were thinking about it already or not! It might also be of some interest to general listeners of the show, who are curious how a podcast like this comes together. There's not much to it, really.

-Mark

Links
BGTG #8 Listening to podcasts--and recording them!
Libsyn.com (podcast host)
Blogger.com (blog software, and could be host)
Feedburner (feed manager)
iTunes
Public domain music loops
Garageband.com (more music, use appropriately with attribution)
Creative Commons
Podcast networks: The SciFi Podcast Network, Gaming Podcast Network, Goblin (Gaming Broadcast Network)
Audacity (recording/editing software)
Skype
Total Recorder
Headset mic
Audio splitter (Y-adapter)
PAR-Pro (for recording on Palm device)
Other podcasts (Mommycast, Grape Radio, History Acc to Bob, Manager Tools, The Transmission, In Our Time)
Transom.org
This American Life (including how-to comic about the show & Ira Glass)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I downloaded Audacity on your recomendation and I agree that it is one of the coolest things ever.

I think you may be using an older version, though. The one I downloaded will record directly from the sound card just like Total Recorder and it has a volume meter so you can gauge the volume levels while it records.

I still like Total Recorder for converting overly large MP3s to more reasonalbe formats.

For recording interviews: If your computer will record stereo you could make a splitter to connect one headset to the left channel and one to the right. Then record in stereo and split the channels later.

Thanks for making such a great show. Keep up the good work!

Mike DeSanto
www.enter.net/~mdesanto

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Great "how to" show. For Mac users, Apple has supposedly just made poscasting MUCH easier. Garageband and iWeb, two programs in their iLife suite of software, are supposedly specifically set up to record and publish podcasts. As a non-techie, this may be the road I follow to finally pursue this interest.

Doug

10:32 AM  
Blogger Chris Lohroff said...

Another excellent show, Mark.

By the way, about half way through I could hear some odd background noise. It sounded like someone breating into the mic. Was that the ceiling fan you mentioned?

2:49 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

I think I misspoke about Audacity and the levels. It's got some sort of graphic indicator, but not the sort of meter that real audio professionals use. Works for me, but it's hard to find an absolute audio level. At least, I can't find it. So I use the sound checks.

I do use Audacity to record from the sound card, but only through the input line (headset mic). Does it now record a Skype conversation w/o requiring Total Recorder? I'll have to check into that.

I've heard one other podcast that puts its interviewER and interviewEE on different stereo channels. It's how I found out an audio adapter I was using was mono only--half the interview couldn't be heard! When I got it working correctly, it's kind of neat. Definitely gives the sense of two different people having a conversation... one sitting on the driver side of my car, the other on the passenger side. :-) I'm just not sure it's worth the doubling of filesize, however.

-Mark

P.S. Chris, the sound you heard was probably me letting my guard down, moving too much and dragging the microphone cord across my clothing. Sorry about that!

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Audacity records RealPlayer just fine. I don't have Skype (I'm a win98 holdout, and it will not run on my machine.) so I can't say about that.

I was thinking of using the two stereo channels as a method of having two input channels, to make editing easier. You would want to record, break the channels, and edit them as two separate Mono recordings. Then just merge the finished product together.

Mike DeSanto
www.enter.net/~mdesanto

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home