Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Monday, January 02, 2006

BGTG 46a - January 2, 2006 - SR: Lots of games, and Feedback



Yea! I finally got to record a new podcast! I needed to do a fair bit of catching up, which meant the podcast got to be pretty long. With that in mind I split it into two parts. This is the first part, about an hour of me catching up for lost time and talking about some games I've been playing recently. The second part, which I'll post next, is the feedback segment.

-Mark

Links
BGTG Frappr map
Comment feed: http://www.mailbucket.org/boardgamestogo.xml
Gone Gaming's Board Game Internet Awards
Board Games with Scott (videoblog)
Battlegames magazine
Kriegspiel (double-blind chess)
Entdecker (New & OLD!)
Tigris & Euphrates
Mäuse-Rallye
Diamant
Star Munchkin, Munchkin Fu
Havoc: The Hundred Years War
Rheinlander
Aqua Romana
Scoozie
Go West
Attika
Cloud 9
Drunter & Drüber

9 Comments:

Blogger ekted said...

Wrong link on this file. :)

11:03 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Fixed now, thanks for the quick spot!

11:07 PM  
Blogger Flieger said...

Mark,
Since polls seem to take up much of your time, you may want to look at this free polling solution, check out http://www.pollhost.com/.

Christoph

12:40 PM  
Blogger Flieger said...

Mark,
regarding Rheinländer: I'll try to persuade you to like the game better than you did. I have only played it 3-4 times myself, and i'm beginning to enjoy it more.
You can read my latest insight here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/87842.
I think if you like a good amount of nastiness in a game, Rheinländer will certainly appeal to you.
Christoph

8:00 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Thanks, Christoph. I'll definitely check out that other poll option. I may even check out Rheinlander again someday . . . Greg's copy. :-)

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - this was a long one! Well done though.

You mention playing with kids. How old is your son? I have a 9yr old son, and he is quite competitive at Bohnanza and does ok at Ticket to Ride.

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some strange reason this episode isn't showing up in my list under iTunes, although 46b and 47 just have.

Does anyone else have this problem, or perhaps a solution? Thanks...

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you mentioned the poll about hype in the podcast. There are no comments on the poll like other sites have, so I'm posting them here.

Hype for boardgames is just like hype for anything else. All it does for me is increase awareness of the hyped game. If there's a game that sounds like I might like it, I get interested in it. If there is a game that sounds like I wont like it, I wont be interested in it.

Hype, like the hype of Caylus, just brings games into my field of view. I would actually prefer it if more games were hyped. It is kind of hard for me to find out about new games, so the more games that are hyped the easier it will be for me to find ones I like.

There is a problem with hype where people start to think either that because people are hyping up a game there must be something good or bad about it to generate that hype. This is a dangerous sort of illogical thinking that can result in missing good games or buying bad ones. I just don't think this way, so hype can't hurt me.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Silverisis said...

The videoblog looks like it moved, it's now it's own website at http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home