Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Thursday, June 30, 2005

BGTG - June 30, 2005 (All about Entdecker)



I've been wanting to do this for a while, talk for an entire show about one game. And now I've done it, about one of my very favorite games Entdecker. I suppose this kind of show is really something of an audio game review, though I didn't plan it that way when I started talking. Entdecker is a game that's been published in two separate versions, has a well-known variant, another I prefer, and most recently its little brother Oceania showed up. I get to talk about all of them. In fact, I like all of them (well, I'm cool on New Entdecker--but I like several of its ideas).

The show ended up a bit longer than expected, at around 45 minutes with no time spent reading feedback. But hey, that only balances the previous smaller show. :)

-Mark

Links
Entdecker
New Entdecker
Oceania
The "Manu variant" for Entdecker
My own Old-New Entdecker hybrid
Steffan O'Sullivan's tips for playing Old with the New

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

Excellent podcast, which I first heard of on Mur Lafferty's Geek Fu Action grip.

I very much enjoyed your Entdecker show and would love to hear a similar show dedicated to El Grande, Puerto Rico, or Princes of Florence.

Best,

Eoin
Dublin, Ireland

4:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I found you through iTunes and I dig the show. I've listened to the your introductory show and this one and I'm hooked. I'm relatively new to the hobby, so you're giving me good ideas,

My favorite games are the Mayfair rail games (Empire Builder, et al), Ticket to Ride, San Juan, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Fluxx (don't hate me for that), the cheapass games, and others. I've not yet played Carcassone, Settlers, etc., but I plan on taking care of that soon.

Anyway, keep up the good work, Mark!

Mark
Chicago IL
joeyhemlock@yahoo.com

8:32 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Glad you liked it! I sort of already have a show all about El Grande, way back on April 16. Dig through the archives to get it. As for the others, I don't feel qualified to attempt a show about Puerto Rico! I never took to it like other folks, and have only played a few times (doing horribly every time).

Princes of Florence, on the other hand... that I could think about.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also think it would be interesting to hear your take on Princes of Florence. I have played it a LOT on Brettspielwelt, and so I have kind of a "hardcore" view of it. It would be interesting to hear an in-depth discussion of it from a more "casual" player who still likes it.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favorite of all your podcasts so far -- hopefully you'll do more of these in-depth reviews of a single game. Especially interesting how you compared New Entdecker to the original.

You made a brief mention of your group's Game of the Month -- what have been some of the games your group has chosen and played that way? It would be interesting to hear in a future podcast if this helps your group to enjoy some games in more depth. My weekly group varies in size from 4 to 7 players so any advice you could give us would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Oliver
Alameda, CA

7:31 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Steve, dig back to that same April 16 show in my archives. That's where I talked about Game of the Month, and the shownotes include a link to an article I wrote for The Games Journal about it.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark. I also found your show thru iTunes, and I am enjoying your insights and approach to the show.

Really liked the Entdecker breakdown. It's a game on my list to try but haven't done so yet.

Keep up the good stuff, and I also would like to see more shows oriented around a game. Or even around a particular type of mechanic, and how it's implemented in various games you like or don't like.

--Shana

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

One of your best shows ever. I guess I'm biased because I like shows about one focused topic.

- Anson

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home