Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Friday, June 24, 2005

BGTG - June 24, 2005 (Boardgames and the Internet)



After a trio of shows sharing the microphone with someone else, I’m back to doing my solo show. That will still be what I do most of the time, I think. It’s back to a theme show, too, focusing on the history of Internet communication on our hobby. Mailing lists, newsgroups, websites, that sort of thing. I didn’t really get to all of the websites I wanted to cover—guess I’ll have to have a part 2 show on that subject sometime later.

Once again I read a variety of feedback to head up the show. Too much? I enjoy reading all of it, but feedback definitely adds some to the length of the show. The craziest thing is that I forgot to include my first audio feedback comment! Rats, I’ll have to include that next time. I’d still enjoy receiving more of those, and that should be even easier now that I’ve set up a voicemail comment line: 1-206-888-BGTG (1-206-888-2484).

My learning curve for podcasting continues: I’ve heard a good technique on other podcasts to announce the show number and title right at the start, before I even go into the intro music. That lets you scan through the shows just by listening to the opening seconds. I’ll do that from now on.

-Mark

Links
rec.games.board newsgroup
Spielfrieks mailing list
The Gamewire at Gamefest.com
Boardgamegeek.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made an incidental comment about reading reviews, saying that you're not so concerned with hearing the game overview, that you're more concerned with the opinions. I couldn't agree more. Often I'm reading reviews for game's I've already played just to hear what others think about them. That's why I really appreciate a review that heavy on opinion and light on the mechanics. Even better are the reviews that use subheadings to make it easy to find what I'm interested in and skip what I'm not. Jeremy Avery does an excellent job of breaking down his reviews.

Thanks for the podcasts. You've got a good radio voice. I check the FM every so often to see if you've been picked up. :)

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home