Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, June 12, 2005

BGTG - June 11, 2005 (My son's take on board and video games)



Here's another show where I have someone else recording with me. Only this time it's my son Sam, and he's plugged in locally to the same laptop. (Technical aside: this was incredibly easy, just patching in a second microphone/headset using a five-dollar audio jack splitter! I need to do more of this with local friends.) Besides hearing from the horse's mouth about a 5th/6th grader's attitudes about board & video games, I wanted to contrast the two Star Wars battles we played against each other. First it was Battlefront on his Xbox system, and later we played Queen's Gambit, a boardgame.

Sam does his best to explain why he likes some games more than others, and I think I manage to miss his point. Considering I'm his father, eager to get him to play more board and card games with me, I could use a little help here!

Sam told me later that he really enjoyed doing this, and wants to do some more over the summer. I'll be sure to label those shows clearly, so grumpy gamers with no use for kids can skip them if desired.

I'll add that Sam is especially hoping for some feedback on this show, so now's the time for it. Thanks!

Email Mark Johnson

Games
Queen's Gambit
Epic Duels
Clash of the Lightsabers
Attack of the Clones card game
Battlefront (videogame for Xbox/PC/PS2)
Chess
St. Petersburg
Bohnanza
Star Munchkin
Ingenious
Through the Desert
Sisimizi
Drunter und Drüber
Kapitän Wackelpudding
Ticket to Ride

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great podcast, Sam! I liked your explanation of why you liked St. Pete. (By the way, hearing about how you find Bohnanza hilarious and how you like Star Munchikin, makes me wonder if you like surreal art (your dad can explain why I'm asking that)). Going back to St. Pete, what do you think's the best strategy? To buy up the blue buildings? To concentrate on the orange aristocrats? To horde the green cards? Something else? Do you like the observatory card or avoid it? I keep thinking I have a good strategy but then I change my mind.

-Mike M

8:38 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Sam says... "Wow, you're just like my dad. For the surreal art thing, not too much. About St. Pete, I stock up on the lumberjacks and the shipbuilders, and I also use lots of blues. (No blues in particular.) The observatory card is kind of a waste for me--I don't use it too much."

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time listener to the show. Great job Mark and Sam. I just wanted to point out to everyone that in this audio segment, Mark admits to playing Monopoly even though he tries to hide it. :)

Anyways, a question to Sam. Now that I know your take about boardgames and videogames. I was wondering if you've had any exposure to CCGs, Miniatures and RPGs. What do you feel about those?

-Anson up in Canada.

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say, Sam is a lot more on the ball about boardgames than a lot of regular posters on boardgamegeek :)

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great show! I really liked listening to you both talk about videogames as well.

You mentioned co-operative games, have you tried the Lego Star Wars videogame? OK, so its a bit cute but its good quick fun (definitely worth a rent).

Oh and any chance of recording a show with your wife? I mainly play boardgames with my girlfriend and I'm always looking for games that appeal to her. So far Carcasonne and Caesar & Cleopatra are her favourites.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Still working on my wife to record a show soon. Besides Lego Star Wars for co-op video games, Sam and I just started playing X-Men Legends. Not as good as Battlefront, but a fun time.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home