Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

BGTG - June 14, 2005 (My daughter's take on boardgames)



Anyone who's a parent of multiple kids knows this rule: be fair to all of them. So after Sam got a chance to be on my podcast, talking about the games he likes, I knew that Molly deserved a turn. Actually, she had wanted to do it first! Molly just finished third grade, and was my little boardgame player even before her older brother. Although she plays the occasional video game, she's not into them very much, and doesn't talk about them on the podcast. I do my best to steer the conversation toward some games we didn't mention on the earlier kid show--not hard because Molly honestly prefers some different games. Although she didn't specifically ask for it, I bet Molly would enjoy feedback just as much as Sam has (thanks for that!). There must be some parents of young girls out there that can relate!

Molly pointed out later that we forgot to talk about domino games like chickenfoot, but that can be in a future show.

Email Mark Johnson

Games
Candyland
Mall Madness
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Cluzzle
Pylos
Apples to Apples, Jr.
Cadoo
Flowerpower
Fish Eat Fish
War, Go Fish (worth following the links to www.pagat.com)
Through the Desert (panned again!)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this properly in the RSS feed? My podcatcher isn't seeing it.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

I'm not sure. My RSS reader (Bloglines) is seeing the feedburner feed, the same one my podcatcher uses. But the podcatcher doesn't see it. I'm using Podnova. Anyone else?

8:10 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

I think I just fixed it.

8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Molly was awesome!

Just about to go into 4th grade.. and amazing how well she can express herself with a mic in front of her. I know many adults who would just freeze up!

She's got a rich future ahead of her! Keep up the good work!

Nice job!

--Steve

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think the MP3 link (through the graphic) is working...

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The two sessions with your kids have been fantastic! I've really enjoyed them. Thanks for the links too - they are really helpful.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of those grouchy adults you were referring to in previous shows, but I still think the shows with Sam and Molly were your best ones so far. Congrats.

From what I can deduce after listening to the shows, you haven't played dexterity games with your kids, apart from Ker Plunk. I'm thinking about such games as Crokinole, Villa Paletti, most Zoch Verlag's games, etc. That seems odd to me. I believe these would appeal to young children. I, myself, have been playing - and loving - Crokinole since my childhood.

Keep up the good work.

Michel Fortin
Québec, Canada

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home