Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, November 28, 2010

BGTG 111 - Post BGGcon (with Greg Pettit)



After my annual "Essen anticipation" show, perhaps it's only natural that some listeners ask me for a post-Essen show where I can share my opinions about the new games after I've played them. The only trouble is that it will take me some months to get all of those plays in, since I didn't go to Essen myself and haven't hardly had any chance to play (or even see) the new games. Here in the US, the best chance to play all of those games--and quickly, right after they're released at Essen--is to go to BGGcon in Dallas, Texas, hosted by our friends at Boardgamegeek. And while I didn't manage to go there, either, I have good friends who did. One of them, Greg Pettit, took some notes and then was happy to discuss his impressions with me for this podcast episode. As you can see from the list below, Greg managed to play lots of the new titles we're curious about.

You may prefer to follow along to the discussion with this "read-along" geeklist showing all of the games Greg played.
In the podcast I briefly mention another gamer's post-BGGcon impressions. That's the excellent report from Tom Rosen in his column at Boardgamenews. Check it out for another perspective, sometimes similar, sometimes different than Greg's. Finally, you can still review the Geekbuzz results from BGGcon, or other reports tagged from that event.

-Mark

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Is it just me or does this post link to the MP3 file of last show (Easy Play Line)?

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope--not just you, it's the Easy Play Episode.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Sorry about that. Check again--should be fixed now.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you very much for you quick reply! Oh, and since I'm here, let me say that I really enjoy your podcast - I think it is currently my favorite among all the boardgaming podcasts.

11:47 PM  
Anonymous Davebo said...

I manually downloaded the episode because I couldn't convince my BlackBerry "PodTrapper" to see it. Enjoying the show, especially since I'm putting my "Christmas Wishlist" together.

I was glad to see the Geeklist, but disappointed to see that Greg's star ratings aren't included. Any chance you or Greg could go back through and put in the stars?

9:49 AM  
Blogger Gregarius said...

I've updated the BGG list with my star rating and brief comments.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any chance of getting Mike Siggins to join you on the post-Essen show?
Peter F

12:23 PM  
Blogger Chris B said...

Great Show again Mark & Greg!

Regarding Dominant Species. I was in the group referred to that Greg taught the next day, where we removed cards.

Though it was our first game, I didn't notice any ill effects from those cards, the only things might be some balance issues, because certain cards were certainly more beneficial for some species over others, if you play through all the cards, you guarantee that all that balances out. But for casual gamers the first time, it wasn't that big a deal.

We started by only removing five cards, about halfway through the game, we removed 10 more, to the point where we only played half of the cards.

In our defense, we knew we were time constrained because of the start of the poker tournament that a couple of us were signed up for.

As far as the game goes, I enjoyed Dominant Species, but it was very time consuming always having to keep track of which species were dominant in different places. I hear this gets to be second nature later, but during the game, any change you make to the environment, or moving of creatures caused us to have to recalculate. It detracted from my enjoyment of the game. But not so much I wouldn't try it again, especially if I'm less time constrained.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home