Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Saturday, October 16, 2010

BGTG 109 - Essen Anticipation 2010 Part 2



Whew! I hurried up and recorded Part 2 of my annual "Essen Anticipation" episode so I could get it posted before the Spieltage itself. Hopefully some of the people who wanted to listen to it before the show opens (even when traveling there?) will get it in time.

This episode is more like my Essen shows from previous years. I talk a little about about general things, then launch into a long list of titles that catch my attention for one reason or another. Either they are high-profile titles that don't interest me for some reason, or more likely they're a game that looks good and hopefully I'll get a chance to play sometime soon. If you want to follow along, this year I again took some notes in a private geeklist.

Finally, I wrap up with a quick overview of the games I was anticipating last Essen. Which ones turned out to be as good as I'd hoped, which didn't, and which have I not bothered to track down at all? Similarly, I look over last year's Fairplay Scout Aktion and Geekbuzz lists of the top games from Essen. I maintain that these early indicators--despite all of the reasons they shouldn't be accurate--actually turn out to be good predictors of the best games released every year at Essen.


-Mark

10 Comments:

Blogger Touko said...

For some reason I couldn't download this episode. Anyway, I hope you can fix it soon, so I can listen it prior leaving to Essen! :)

Thanks for your excellent podcast!

11:56 PM  
Blogger Touko said...

OK, I was able to download it after all... The link for the MP3 picture seemed to be broken (which I usually use), but the link for the title worked. Sorry for the spam!

12:01 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Thanks for finding that error, Touko. I just fixed it.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your iTunes feed doesn't seem to be working (at least for me). Luckily, I saw your Essen geeklist on boardgamegeek.

For me, I had to manually download the two Essen episodes from the iTunes store. Neither refreshing my existing BGTG subscription or resubscribing worked for me... it seemed like iTunes couldn't figure out these were "new" episodes.

In any event, I am very psyched for some BGTG creamy goodness to make the morning commute more enjoyable -- the Essen shows are my second favorite BGTG show types (my absolute favorite shows are when you have Dave on as your sidekick). Keep up the great work!

- Jay

9:09 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Jay, thanks for your persistence! Myself and others have had success by unsubscribing & resubscribing, so I don't know why it didn't work for you.

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,
Looking at the Essencrop these are the games that interest me most:

7 Wonders
Troyes
Navegador
Genesis
Age of Industry
51st State
London

Would be great to get your view on these games if you get to play any of them att BGG.CON

Peter F

9:34 PM  
Anonymous seema said...

I had to manually download the two Essen episodes from the iTunes store. Neither refreshing my existing BGTG subscription or resubscribing worked for me... it seemed like iTunes couldn't figure out these were "new" episodes

11:11 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

It should be working now, Seema.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Following up on my original post:
Now that I've unsubscribed and resubscribed in iTunes, things seem to be working again. (Initially, I just tried resubscribing without unsubscribing.)

Thanks.

- Jay

2:00 PM  
Blogger Justus said...

Just wanted to drop a note since you mentioned Haggis favoribly. Its definitely a gamer's climbing game, like Tichu. But I find that class of games an amazingly fun filler family (it is my favorite game mechanic) with are several great traditional game.

If you ever get more interested in that mechanic I seriously suggest checking out the climbing games on pagat.com. The two games that seem to have a on BGG following are zheng fen and fight the landlord (a great 3P game). My personal favorite is Thirteen (Tien Len) which I learned as a teenager in San Jose.

There is also a fun BGG thread to check out has a variant that combines zheng fen and tichu. I'd love to try out that combined game, especially since the guy feels that it is "something sublime".

Cheers!

7:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home