Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

BGTG 66 - Dec. 8, 2006 - Thanksgiving Leftovers (Qwirkle, Winner's Circle, Harry's Grand Slam Baseball, Hyle7, Make Five) & Feedback



Whew! The show is now posted. You know that getting a podcast out during this part of the year is tricky for me (aren't we all busy with the holidays?), and with the backlog of material it has turned out to be a biggie. Good news, I hope. The last time I had a show larger than one audio CD, almost no one downloaded the split file--everyone downloaded the big sucker like usual. So either you've got MP3 players, listen on your computers, or manage your own splits as needed. Yea!

This show is mostly a compilation of older material that hadn't been broadcast yet for one reason or another. There's a session report and some general discussion from last August, and a backlog of audio feedback--half of it from Mark Jackson. (Remember, he's the preacher, I'm the rocket scientist . . . kind of.)

But I couldn't just splice in that feedback without responding to it, and I wanted to fill you in on some recent events, too. Mostly, that means when my folks came down for Thanksgiving. Did we all play games? Yeah, kind of, but not what you'd expect. And then I had the happy surprise of a thank-you gift for this podcast that turned out to be a fun game for the family, one I wanted to mention right away.

So, anyway, there you have it. All 85 minutes of it. Enjoy!

-Mark

P.S. Once again the good folks over at the Gone Gaming blog are calling attention to the best internet resources for our hobby. They call it the Board Game Internet Awards, and this is the second year they've done this. Sure, everyone knows to go to Boardgamegeek and Boardgamenews for news & information. But which are the best blogs, game club sites, even podcasts? Not only that, but they'll single out the best individual game reviews, session reports, and humorous articles. I'm very proud to be nominated again, and really appreciate the spotlight they're shining on quality online material, all of it by enthusiastic hobbyists.

P.P.S. I don't do full-blown shownotes with links to everything anymore, but in this recording I specifically mentioned a link to the Interview with an Optimist that Tom Vasel did with HSGB designer Harry Obst.

10 Comments:

Blogger Brent Mair said...

Mark, this didn't show up in ITunes for me. but episode 57 did again.
I just wandered over and discovered you had recorded again.

5:42 AM  
Blogger Brent Mair said...

Odd, but after a few more update cycles it did come through. Thanks for the new cast!

7:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see a new 'cast. I gotta say my favorite part was your response to the "Stockholm Syndrome" comment, because your response mirrored what I was thinking.

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Mark Jackson in not being a fan of Breese’s games with the exception of Keythedral, which I think he should definitely try. Reef Encounter feels like a heavy and joyless exercise in abstraction and Aladdin’s Dragon’s blind bidding leaves me frustrated. Kethedral reminds me of Settlers and Caylus (resource collection) but with less luck than the former and much shorter play than the latter. Plus there’s some great turn order tension. Great show that’s never too long!

-Eric

12:58 PM  
Blogger Dani In NC said...

Thanks for playing my audio comment! I appreciated the suggestions for easing into the hobby. We already play standard card games like Spades, but I wanted us to try something different. We aren't really interested in joining a gaming group, so that's why I have to pick games that I can figure out myself and present to the rest of them. I'm thinking that I will stick with the Knizia catalog for my next few purchases, since Poison was a big hit with us. Thanks again!

BTW, my name is Dani, not Sandy. At least you got the NC right :-).

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark!

Thanks for mentioning Qwirkle on BGTG. I guess I did exploit a hole in your review system. I actually didn't mean to but I'm glad you liked the game! :)

I'm sure you were doing a streamlined description of the rules, but I did want to make sure that you were playing correctly.

Did you know that you can multiple tiles on one turn (if they all share color or shape)?

Also, did you know that placing the 6th tile in a line gets you an 6 bonus points above what you normally get for placing your tiles?

Thanks again!

Chris

PS - I enjoyed the pre-gateway gateway game discussion. It always helps to know your players and pick a game accordingly. :)

12:25 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Dani, sorry I got your name wrong. I think you're smart to explore Knizia a bit more. His games tend to be more streamlined, even a little more abstract that can help make them easier to learn. Have you tried Through the Desert?

6:22 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Chris, I knew the part about playing multiple tiles--just glossed over that in my description. But I'd missed the +6 point bonus. Wow, that makes playing those final tiles a huge deal . . . which, in turn, means you have to be careful about setting anyone else up like that.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, trying to block your opponent(s) 6th tile in a line plays can be an important strategy. :)

When you place a 6th tile in line and get the bonus 6 points we actually call it a "Qwirkle". I wish we'd thought of that before the rules were printed and mentioned it there. It's definitely caught on in our game group and children seem to especially like calling it out when they make one.

Chris

PS - Don't forget that you also get 6 bonus points if you are the first player to use all your tiles and can't draw anymore (therefore ending the game)! ;)

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It look nice. I like it very much.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home