Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Happy Holidays from BGTG

Wow, I really thought I'd have the opportunity to record a show by now. But guess what? It's busy around the holidays. I'll do another podcast as soon as I'm able.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas for me and Happy Holidays to everyone! This year I got several games as gifts. That's unusual, because even though I've been a gamer for 25 years, I don't often ask for games as gifts. Way back when (RPG days), the games were too geeky & hard-to-find to ask for from relatives. Didn't really feel right asking for Magic:The Gathering cards in the mid-90s, either. Even in the early days of German-style boardgames, some of the games I most wanted could only be ordered for a reasonable price from Germany, as part of a larger order. I could never stomach paying $50+ for individual games from American importers.

But now in 2005, the situation has improved dramatically. This year I printed out pages showing games that interested me, all available from a favorite domestic mail order shop (I periodically order from several good ones). I shared those printouts with my wife, who ordered a few for me and spread others around as suggestions to relatives. More and more people are getting comfortable ordering online for all sorts of gifts, and I ended up with several goodies! Let's see, this year I received Techno Witches, Cloud 9, Pizza Box Football, Trump Tricks Game, Wings of War: Burning Drachens, Travel Blokus, and Fjords! Wow!!

Two years ago something similar happened with a list of books I gave out to my relatives. They all pounced on the idea of ordering me a book, or two. The result was that I ended up with over 3000 pages of material on Christmas morning! Oof! All good stuff, but I'm no longer that much of a reader, and it took me forever to get through just part of it. I wonder how long it'll take for me to play all of these games . . . ?

. . .

Though I haven't recorded a podcast, I have had some opportunity to fix up some of the web page. If you're reading this on Bloglines or some other RSS reader, definitely swing by the website some time for a look. I finally updated the webpoll (i.e. there's a new one, and results from the last are now posted). I've now got a Frappr map for listeners that want to indicate where they are. Fun for me to see where everyone is. I relocated the "tip jar" PayPal donation button nearer the top of the page. And I now have a Comment Feed. Sort of.

A Comment Feed is a separate RSS feed that includes the comments to blog posts . . . as well as the posts themselves (like this). Unfortunately, my blog software doesn't offer a true comment feed, but some folks have figured out how to kludge one together. It's not perfect--it doesn't include these original posts, and it doesn't linewrap like I'd like it to. But mailbucket.org is a free email-to-RSS gateway that does the trick. If you want to check out the comment feed, the address to use is http://www.mailbucket.org/boardgamestogo.xml.

-Mark

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care what you say, if there are no shows forthcoming then don't expect my monthly subscription payment! :p

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are the shows?

The previously most reliable podcaster ... I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms...

6:00 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

When was I ever the most reliable?! Other podcasts (except for BoardgameSpeak) have always had more regular publication schedules. But I appreciate the interest nonetheless, and I hope by now you've found my new show.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home