Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, November 13, 2005

BGTG 43 - Nov. 6, 2005 - All About Euphrat & Tigris (with Greg Pettit)



At last! Another All About show, and one I'd been planning to do for some time. My buddy and BGG.com roommate Greg Pettit has played the game a fair bit, and shared his opinions about the game's strategies, reputation, graphic production, and more. Also, we managed to play the newly-released card game adaption of E&T at the con, which gave us even more to think about.

-Mark

P.S. Pretty ridiculous that I forgot part of my own call-in number. The part I forgot? The "BGTG" part! Sheesh . . .

P.P.S. This podcast is too long to fit onto a single audio CD--for those of you that listen to BGTG that way--and I didn't figure that out until after I'd uploaded it. In the past I've split longer shows into two parts, almost as two separate podcasts. This split is more of a hack job, but should work for those of you that need it. Here are separate links to download part 1 (~75 minutes) and part 2 (~25 minutes).

Links
Tigris & Euphrates
Euphrat & Tigris Kartenspiel (card game)
Greg Pettit's BGG profile (Gregarius) . . . and his imdb.com entry :-)
Tigris & Euphrates online at BGG
Fawkes' Geeklist about Game Themes (E&T is first)
Wikipedia entry for Mesopotamia
Acquire
Samurai
Through the Desert
Puerto Rico and San Juan

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike Doyle said...

Wow. Great! This is the first All About show in where I'm familiar with the game, so it was especially meaningful. As it turns out though, I've owned the game for almost a year now, unplayed but rules read. Something about it has seemed a bit difficult to get on the table. Perhaps the aggresiveness of play (or how I perceive it to be) has influenced this as most of my group does not like overtly aggressive play. That said, after hearing this, I want to introduce it more than ever now. ...Perhaps next session. :)

7:36 AM  
Blogger Mergryphon said...

Great Show! I really enjoyed this one. T&E is sitting on my shelf just waiting for a few more people to play with. Now I can't wait.

Thanks for doing these!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Game Over said...

Really enjoyed this one... I've only played T&E a couple of times and need to get my copy to the table a bit more often.

I have to agree with Greg that the theme of the game actually does show through really well. When I play I do get the sense of internal power struggles and inter-kingdom wars.

I'd like to see some more of this kind of show especially if you can do them about some of the upcoming reprints. El Grande would be a good one as would Wallenstein.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great show.

One area that could have taken some more discussion was managing the conflict order (ie which colour to fit with first) to protect yourself.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

As with the other folks, I will agree and say this All-About-Format is great. I've always shied away from E&T because it has a reputation for being hard to learn due to the 'conflicts'. Hearing you and Greg Pettit give an overview has changed my thoughts about this game. I think I will purchase it!

I wonder if there are other games out there that have been wrongfully accused of being hard to learn, but are actually very easy to comprehend. Do you know of any?

Anson Li
Vancouver

4:15 PM  
Blogger Mike Doyle said...

Just as a followup to above, since hearing this I worked up the courage to dive into BGG's online version. I started by posting a message in the forum for anyone who might want to play a newbie and got quite a good response. Sort of went nuts on this as I found out how fantastic this game is. I've now got 16 games going. Boy this is sort of addictive! :)

mike

6:46 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Other games with the stigma of being too hard? I think El Grande has some of that--it's strategic but the rules are very easy to absorb. Particularly as so many of its innovations have found their way into more recent games.

Is Princes of Florence hard? It's certainly not light, but it's not unreasonable, either.

-Mark

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home