Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

BGTG 42 - Nov. 6, 2005 - Boardgamegeek.Con (with Aldie and Derk)



My listeners will know that I wanted to record something at Boardgamegeek.con, and I finally got that chance in the final hours of the event: an interview with Aldie and Derk about the convention itself. Aldie had agreed to it as early as Friday, but those guys were just so busy throughout the weekend that we didn't get an opportunity until the very end. They were pretty fried, but probably pretty satisfied, too.

To have three voices on my podcast was a new technological development, and it turned out to require no more than an extension of my existing low-ball recording equipment. Remember how I just connect a $15 PC headset to my laptop's audio-in jack to record . . . and for the second voice I only need a $3 splitter and second audio headset? Well, what do you think I did for the third voice? Another splitter and headset. That's right, a splitter into a splitter. No mixer required. What do you think of the audio?

This is the first of a couple shows I'm doing on the con. The second will be my own impressions of the games I played, what I thought of the convention itself, etc.

-Mark

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The HTML for the main page as a line containing a reference to:

http://boardgamestogo.blogspot.com/atom.xml

I suspect you should update it to:

http://www.boardgamestogo.com/atom.xml

to make sure people don't get 6 month old posts. ;-)

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great show! I thought the sound quality was excellent, I had no trouble hearing or understanding anyone.

You did very well turning the tables on Derk and Aldie and rolling with their style. I laughed when you pined for your 'solo' show. :D

You did succeed; I'm sorry I missed BGG.con, it sounds very fun. I attend a few local cons and GenCon, but BGG.con seems much more focused and yet laid back at the same time.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts as a gamer attendee.

--Shana

7:24 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

The old blogspot address is an annoyance, I know. I'm having trouble getting it deleted, or finding the line in my html as referenced above. Any help? Please email me privately at Mark@BoardgamesToGo.com.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mark, just listened to the show, I think it's your best yet! You were really loose, and obviously having a lot of fun.

I think the next time you interview someone in person, you should first hang out, drink a beer, and then turn on the recorder. :)

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mark,

The audio was great. There were no issues. In fact, it sounded a lot clearer than a lot of other podcasts, which uses more sophisticated equipment.

But did you test the splitter+splitter idea before you recorded the show? Or was it a 'cross-your-finger' kind of moment? =)

Anson Li
Vancouver

6:46 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Yeah, I'd given it a quick test just beforehand, in the hotel room. I didn't know it would work before I bought the equipment, but figured I could cover another $15 headset and $3 splitter if it failed.

-Mark

7:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home