Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Monday, October 17, 2011

BGTG 116 - Essen Anticipation 2011



I'm not even late! Not quite, anyway. The annual small (& large) game publisher extravaganza in Essen, Germany is set to start with the press day about 24 hours after I post this, and the doors open to the public the day after that. Four days of record-setting boardgame product launches and direct sales will follow, along with some sense of which games are the best ones.

For those of us who don't get to be there in person, we live vicariously through the rumors, news, and marketing info leading up to the event itself, and then through live reports from Essen over streaming video channels. The acid test comes quite a bit later, when everyone gets a chance to really play the games they bought over there, and the rest of us get to play ones that were ordered & shipped to us. That's when we'll know with some certainty which games we really enjoy.

The current moment is something different. It's informed speculation about what we think we're going to have fun with, based on...what? Based on descriptions, photos, comparisons to other games, and the earliest previews. I do it every year--have done so since the 1990s--and 2011 is no different. It's fun for me, and I hope it's fun for you to listen to, as well.

If you have your own ideas about the games to anticipate, why you think that way, and maybe even what you thought about last year's games, I'd love to hear it.

-Mark

P.S. I decided to post a Geeklist after all that lists the games I talk through in the podcast, as well as my p,d,t,m notes about what draws me to them.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Rick said...

Very good show, Mark. Perhaps the game you're trying to think of was Volle Hütte?

3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,
Listening to the show is a bit like waiting for Christmas Eve
Thank you for the show.
Peter

11:31 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Yep, Volle Hütte it was! In fact, I even owned it for a while.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arggghhh! iTunes is having problems downloading the episode. I can't believe I am being denied an Essen tradition...

Thanks for taking the time to record this episode.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Try again--it's working for me now after I tweaked something back. (Stupid of me to adjust something behind the scenes while the show was new!)

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray! Thanks for fixing the iTunes feed. Your podcast and KMW's reports are part of the Essen tradition for me.

Thanks for putting Expedition Africa on my radar screen.

It still seems to me that Adlung still manages one interesting card game per show. I'm still very interested in Adlungland from last year. Hope to play it before year end. Whar are your thoughts on it? Have you played it?

- Jay

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home