Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Sunday, August 10, 2008

BGTG 83 - Aug 10, 2008 - Re-Introduction with my "New" Top Ten


Though I'm too chicken to listen to it, anyone that wants to can go back into my archives to download BGTG #1. In that episode I tried to give an introduction to myself, describing my own likes & dislikes in games. It always helps to know those things about a game reviewer. You get to figure out how my opinions map to yours. Maybe you & I are on the same page, and the games I like are ones you'll probably enjoy. But it can even help if we don't see eye-to-eye, so you'll know when I'm disappointed in a game that it might be something you'd like anyway.

To anchor these preferences of mine, I also talked about my Top Ten games at the time. When I mention En Garde and Entdecker, it helps you understand what else you're going to hear from me on the podcast.

That was 2005, now I felt it was time to do this again. I get to talk about the podcast itself, my likes & dislikes (mostly the same, some changes), and a new top ten list. It doesn't replace my old list, it augments it with some more recent titles.

-Mark

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just listened to this show. I thought it was good. A nice 'reintroduction' of yourself and your new 'goal' for the podcast since your old one is now mute.

Anyway. I just want to say, yours is still my favorite podcast to listen to, and I've been listening for a long time, like since the beginning. My tendencies mesh with yours on Euro's quite a bit, though I do differ from you on some of the fantasy/scifi, and meatier games.

I look forward to your shows whenever they come, I know it's a labor of love, so I don't mind the occasional nature of it.

But I wanted to state. I don't mind the audio quality, even on the 'drive' shows. As I still look forward to them, and I suppose I listen to your show for content, not flair.

Some of the "Shows" as you called them during this episode, tend to rarely deliver content that I enjoy. They have some discussions, but they are all on the surface. Your down to earth, and sometimes very opinionated nature, make your show, and your assesment of games seem more real to me than some of the other shows, that do accept the review copies and the like.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Another good show. Look forward to more.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with chris on everything he says! :)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Glad to hear it, guys. My stats show that I've lost a lot of listeners since my peak a couple years ago. No doubt that's due to the novelty wearing off, plus my long hiatuses (sp?). Still, I can tell I've got a core group of listeners that I'm happy continue to enjoy the podcast.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just listened to the podcast...

I really liked the idea of re-introducing your likes and dislikes via your top ten. Needless to say, after over a year or so of listening to your show most of your preferences have manifested themselves through your reviews.

Also, as the others mentioned, I don't mind the car recordings at all. The audio is better than some of the more "professionally" produced shows which are uploaded at a way too low audio level. With your casts I haven't had any issues getting a good audio level in the car. It's actually cool in a way to listen to a show recorded in a car while driving myself. :)

Thanks getting out these great podcasts!

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home