Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

BGTG 87 - Essen Anticipation 2008


As promised, here's my annual episode running through the new Essen games that have caught my eye. There are games I'm pretty sure I want, others I'm pretty sure I don't, and a whole bunch I need to know more about first (hopefully by playing).

Essen opens its doors to everyone tomorrow, and the press-only day has already started. Folks like me will be checking internet sites repeatedly through the weekend to digest scraps of information and opinions about the new titles. Exciting!

-Mark

6 Comments:

Blogger Brent Mair said...

Thanks, Mark! Certainly a timely show and for me, my first encounter with some of these games.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't leave the show without visiting Burley Games (Stand 9-49) and seeing 'Kamisado'. A colourful Abstract game, very deep, thoroughly absorbing.

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, Just a note from your podcast: You said that they don't play a lot of games at Essen ? Sorry, Half of the people are playing, 25% is looking around and 25% is buying stuff. Do not expect it to be a market with lot of shops. Beside the second hand booth there are about 5 big sale companies like Heidelberg Spieleverlag. All the other spaces are filled with tables for demoing or playing.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Good point. I guess I was thinking about MY experience the one time I made it to Essen. That was part of a larger vacation trip, and I could only spare one day at Essen. That day was full of just walking around, looking at everything, shopping the game dealer booths. What game playing we did was back at the hotel after the fair closed (which is fairly early, like 6 or 8pm).

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, When did you go that time ? Thursday or Friday or Sat/Sun ?
I have only experience from Thursday.
A lot of playing happens at the booths too. Most of the time the playing tables are full. Most people, like me ;-), who just go there for 1 day, don't play as it is boardgames paradise that time.
While hearing the podcast I though, Mark should go back there ;-)

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice show Mark. Glad to hear another from you.

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home