Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Friday, February 16, 2007

BGTG 68 - Feb 12, 2007 - Looking Back at 2006, Forward into 2007


A quick show with my thoughts on boardgaming over the past year, and what I anticipate for 2007. These retrospectives are a little harder to do without stats . . . but then what would stats tell me, anyway? For me, the real point is to talk about games that have become new favorites, especially ones I think will be keepers for the long haul. To be honest, I'm not sure how many of even the "hits" will keep getting played over the next five years, but I think Thurn & Taxis is a safe bet.

As for my look forward, I wonder my desire to physically produce a game of some kind--either my own prototype or an existing game component upgrade--makes sense to other people. Some of my local game friends have done this. For some it's a matter of art production (I think), of trying their hand at game graphics. That's not exactly my thing (i.e. I'm no good at it). Instead, what I hope to get out of it is an education in the struggles & successes with a game's functionality.

-Mark

P.S. According to my new stats on BGG, in the first six weeks of the year I've played 39 games a total of 61 times. If I keep that pace, I'll end up with over 500 total plays. Yep, I thinking my family focus is actually leading me to playing MORE games than ever before. Sure, there are those Pass the Pigs games with my daughter, but also Thurn & Taxis with my wife. And you know what? I had a great time playing Pass the Pigs with her! :-)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No luck downloading- says can't make a connection with the server.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Yeah, my podcast host libsyn is having some issues right now. Neither is the show showing up in iTunes, even though it shows up in the RSS feed. I hope both problems will clear themselves up in a few hours.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Hans van der Drift said...

Hi Mark,

Is there a link to the BGGWidget, or instructions on how to use it?

Thanks

Hans

3:44 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Yep, go to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekwidget.php

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have modified my game purchases so I can play more games with my wife and kids. Hey, that's my fish and Shear Panic have been a big success. I have heard bad things about TaT but if your wife likes it I will have to purchase and try with my wife. I would like to hear any of your recommendations on new games that go over well with the whole family.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

It's tricky, Daniel, isn't it? Some games work well with our wives, others don't. I sometimes meet David Gullett, who was on my gamer-dad show almost a year ago, and we compare notes on what's working with our families. Igloo Pop was a bust with his, but a winner with mine. Meanwhile, Cartagena didn't work with my family, but his likes it (most do). I've already got Hey That's My Fish, and it's been ok, but not great.

Shear Panic is one I've been on the fence about. I played it once myself, and honestly I was very underwhelmed. Except for the pieces, which were as great as everyone says. But my wife raised sheep when she was a little girl, and I know that will have an instant appeal. Now that the new editions are out, maybe I should try it anyway? Hmmm...

7:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So, you going to give your SCGD (and especially fellow podcasters) friends an early shot at the games you sell? Surely Davebo and I will have to start a bidding war for the Haba games ;)

10:18 PM  
Blogger Mark Johnson said...

Actually, there are some games already listed. Take a look.

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice show Mark. Of course I applaud your decision to focus on the family with your gaming. Glad to see you're putting your priorities in the right place.

Yeah... like you I was underwhelmed with "Sheer Panic". It's just another abstract, but with neat little sheep. And since my wife didn't raise sheep as a child, I can't see buying it.

"Hey That's My Fish" worked with my kids, particularly my 7yo girl. I got my eye on that one... just may be a little gamer in there.

As far as when you last played T&E, you and I played it with the boys December '05.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home