Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

BGTG 120 - Favorites of 2011 (A Few Acres of Snow, Pergamon)



What?! Two episodes in the same month?! When was the last time I did that? Unfortunately, it's been a while. But as I say during the early part of this podcast, I've got a little more free time now, and I hope I can use it to publish podcasts a bit more frequently than it's been. This could change at any time, but for now I've got my fingers crossed.

In this episode I do a few things. Most of the time I talk about my two favorite titles from 2011, A Few Acres of Snow, and Pergamon. The first is Martin Wallace's deckbuilding wargame about the French & Indian War, while the second is an historically themed, 1990s-style euro in a field increasingly dominated by plastic spaceships and special powers. I also use the opportunity to quickly recap the games I played in 2011, at least the totals and Five & Dimes.

Finally, I dig through the musty mail bag to read some feedback "on air." That was always a favorite part, for me, and maybe if I keep posting some more podcasts I can get back into it.


-Mark

2 Comments:

Blogger Kifty said...

Hi Mark,

You seem to be missing the audio enclosure on this one. It's not showing up in my podcast client. Pergamon and A Few Acres of Snow are both games that I've been interested in trying out, so I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them!

~Jonathan

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark,

Interesting picks for your games of 2011. I haven't played either of the titles you mention though I was very interested in A Few Acres of Snow until I read about the unbeatable strategy. Since then I had quite forgotten about the game but your enthusiasm and mention of the recent fix has me reconsidering this title. I do often enjoy Martin Wallace titles and my group really does dig Dominion's deck-building mechanic so this may be a winner for us.

Great insights as always.

John Rogers

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home