Blog
Guild
Archives
Contact

Mark Johnson's occasional & opinionated podcast about family strategy boardgames

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

BGTG 100 SR & Feedback (Tobago, Numeri, Polar Derby)



Yea! When I started this podcast nearly five years ago, I had no idea I'd still be doing it now. The pace certainly slowed down from the early days, but I'm so pleased to have stumbled across the finish line to episode 100! Except that this isn't really a finish line--I'm going to keep podcasting, and I hope you'll keep listening.

I thought about some big celebration or other special show for my 100th episode, but after talking with friends (some of whom you've heard on my podcast before), I decided instead to keep it simple. After all, that's what Boardgames To Go has always been: a simple, no-frills podcast that reflects my own interests in analyzing what it is about these games that makes them fun (or not), along with some good feedback. It's the feedback that has always kept me going, so it's a real pleasure to include it on episode 100. In future shows there will still be more opportunities to discuss special topics, have guest co-hosts, and maybe even some more All About episodes.

In this episode I start with some discussion about my favorite new Essen game, Tobago. True, it's the only real Essen game I've got my hands on yet, but I like it so much I'm confident it will remain a favorite even after I've had a chance to try the others, perhaps finding more keepers. It was a title that jumped out at me during my annual pre-Essen anticipation, and it was easy enough to order domestically right away. Another new Essen title is Numeri, which I've at least played in its online incarnation on brettspielwelt. This is a modern reprint in Schmidt's fun Easy Play line that had a much earlier life as a boardgame. In between there was an edition with some particular theming that I'd like to know more about--does anyone have it? Finally, I discuss Polar Derby, a kids' game from Gamewright that feels like a Knizia game . . . because it IS a Knizia game. Hear about how the clever folks at Gamewright put a German game design through the American-izer.


-Mark

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Uh-oh - the next BGB has Tobago on it. Finally wearing the same dress, I guess. ;)

8:36 PM  
Anonymous davebo said...

Enjoying the show, Mark. Congrats on 100 episodes!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Mark for the great enjoyment your podcast continues to bring.
Peter F

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Chris said...

Another great show, as always! Tobago is now my wife's favorite game, and it's probably the best and most original new game I've played in a while.

Congratulations on the 100th show... and keep 'em coming!

1:09 PM  
Blogger daw65 said...

Nice episode. And congrats on 100!

Tobago is my current hot game. The whole map clue concept feels a lot like Old Town, which I like, but the additions I think make the game a bit more competitive. I'm looking forward to springing it on my fellow gamers here.

Dave Wilson
Tri-Valley Boardgamers

(signed so you'll recognize me on your next feedback show :-) )

11:40 AM  
Blogger collywobbles said...

Congratulations on 100 episodes. I laughed when you called yourself the "No frills podcast". Well to my mind, content is king and if you are getting 2000 downloads you are surely showing your quality. And yes I have been in from ep1.
Russell (Collywobbles)

1:58 AM  
Blogger Justus said...

Hello, I think I left a comment earlier, but in any case congrats on 100!

Like I mentioned on a previous comment, I just found your show and am slowly going through your archives! I'm very happy that you introduced me to Schotten-Totten and En Garde, I'm really digging both of them!

I was wondering if you knew of any good "push yer luck" types of games like you mentioned with Polar Derby ... but only for 2 players! I guess the same would go for auction type games?

In any case, congrats again and thanks for introducing me to a bunch of games that aren't the BGG standard top 20....

Here's to another 100 thought provoking episodes!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home